Seth Godin is an Authorist even if he doesn’t know it. This interview is a great glimpse into the future of eBooks, Kindle, iPad and the AuthoREvolution. Enjoy, http://ping.fm/q9Rqa
Online publishing house FastPencil has broken down all kinds of barriers that used to prevent authors from getting published. I am the founder and CTO at FastPencil so take my advice with a grain of salt, but the AuthoREvolution starts when you make the decision to take control of your books future. Take a look at FastPencil and you’ll be amazed. Click the tile to get started now.
What’s happening in the publishing industry is not just natural evolution – it really is a revolution. The pendulum is swinging back toward the author and the iPad is just one more milestone along the way. Here are four reasons why the iPad is an AuthoREvolution:
1. It’s not just a book on a computer screen. The whole concept of “Book” is finally changing and the idea that a book is a bunch of chapters packaged between two covers is fading. The iPad is a true multi-media device. That means the author can use all available means to convey content. It’s not just a better book, it’s changing the nature of books and giving the author more tools to connect. We will soon see eBooks with meta data, annotations, multimedia, links and social connections.
2. It’s not just another distribution channel. The iPad brings iTunes simplicity to book purchases. With the integrated iBookstore authors will be able to reach out to an audience already downloading and reading eBooks on their iPhone. What people aren’t talking about is how the iBookstore will allow anyone with an iTunes account to purchase books and view them on their iPhones and iPod Touch, too!
3. Publishers are arguing over prices, while authors are figuring out how to get their own books on the iBookstore without them! FastPencil.com is the only publisher that has committed to helping authors write, publish and distribute their books anywhere! If you are an author and you want to publish a book on the iPad, through the iBookstore, you’ll be able to click a few buttons at FastPencil.com and you’re in. No agent, no publisher, no permission slip required.
4. The iPad is going to put more money in everyone’s pocket… except the bookstores. Unfortunately, my local bookshop may disappear in the next couple years if not sooner. Just like the iPod ended the reign of the record shops, the iPad should signal the end of the bookshop. And the 100% retail markup for books, too. Digital delivery means almost zero overhead and all profit. And Apple has taken the same stance as FastPencil, providing the lions share to the author or publisher. In the case of a traditional publisher, they chop that up and give even less to the author, but that’s changing as authors choose to go direct. More money is going back to the author.
And that’s the real AuthoREvolution – control and reward for ideas. The more we see companies like Apple, Amazon, FastPencil and Lulu work to help authors connect with their audience, the further we are toward a complete revolution in the publishing industry. It’s not just the next generation of books, it’s the next generation of an entire industry!
Technology is great if it really makes your life easier. That’s what the AuthoREvolution is all about: discovering and using technology that makes your job easier… and more fun!
After I created my book project on FastPencil for AuthoREvolution, I immediately started setting up my community and networks. That included the following:
1. @AuthoREvolution twitter account
2. Facebook page for AuthoREvolution
3. WordPress blog for AuthoREvolution
Then I made sure my personal accounts were in order:
1. Mashley.com blogger account
2. Tumblr blog
4. Misc other communities I participate in
NOW, if I had to manage every single account I would go crazy – so I setup a ping.fm account. Ping.fm will allow you to post to all of your accounts from one place. It’s the slickest interface and time-savings tool you will use. Plus, they make it dead-simple to post different content to different containers. So you can post a blog to your blogging accounts, and status updates to your social containers. Awesome technology.
So, your first mission is to setup your accounts, blogs, pages, etc. and then tie them together using ping.fm and get used to posting from just one place.
Just setup my Ping.fm account for @AuthoREvolution
I’m sitting at Peets in Santa Cruz and I just started a new book project called AuthoREvolution. I will be writing this book using every possible new social technology, mobile phone, e-publishing resource available. Here’s what I’ve done in the last 20 minutes:
1. I created my Twitter account: Twitter.com/AuthoREvolution
2. I created my WordPress Blog: AuthoREvolution.wordpress.com
3. I created my FastPencil book project: FastPencil.com/projects/7134-AuthoREvolution
4. I roughed out my book outline in FastPencil and set up my goals.
My next step is to blog my book for the next 30 days in WordPress and then import it into FastPencil for editing and the final publishing step. I will be tweeting and posting to Facebook as I write. Stay tuned and join me if you want. I need all the help I can get! Mash